Programming Languages some important points to keep remember:
- Root of all modern languages ALGOL
- ALGOL stands for Algorithmic Language
- BCPL – Basic Combined Programming Language
- C was evolved from ALGOL, BCPL and B by Dennis Ritchie at the Bell Laboratories in 1972.
- UNIX Operating system is the heart of the Internet data superhighway.
- C is the successor of BCPL
- ANSI – American National Standards Institute
- ANSI C – C89 – Approved by ANSI in December 1989 and by ISO in 1990.
- C++, Java evolved out of C
- C99 – 1999 standard of C by Standardization Committee
C Programming Language - Advantages
- Efficient and fast
- Many times faster than BASIC
- 32 keywords in ANSI C
- Highly portable (can run on any OS with little or no modification)
- Well suited for structured programming
- Ability to extend itself